Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the best products; you can learn more about our review process here. We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.
We are committed to researching, testing, and recommending the best products. We may receive commissions from purchases made after visiting links within our content. Learn more about our review process.
Our Top Picks
Best Overall: Compare-N-Save Concentrate Weed Killer at Amazon
“Apply the weed killer in virtually any landscape including the lawn, flower beds, vegetable/fruit gardens, and pathways/driveways.”
Best for Lawns: Bayer Advanced Weed Control at Home Depot
“The 20 oz. bottle offers enough weed killer to cover around 7,500 square feet of space using a connectable sprayer.”
Best for Gardens: Preen Garden Weed Preventer at Amazon
“Existing weeds will need to be removed manually since this weed killer only prevents new ones from growing.”
Best Pre-Emergent: RM43 43-Percent Glyphosate Plus at Amazon
“The large 1-gallon bottle covers around 17,297 square feet of grass, making this one a great economic purchase when you want to save money”
Best Emergent: Roundup Weed and Grass Killer at Amazon
“Coming with a 1.1-gallon bottle and convenient wand sprayer, the weed killer’s formula is designed to eliminate weeds right down to the root.”
Best Selective: Pulverize Selective Weed Killer at Home Depot
“The Pulverize Selective Weed Killer is somewhat of a weed assassin in terms of its accuracy and effectiveness.”
Best Non-Selective: Spectracide Weed & Grass Killer at Amazon
“Preventing regrowth for up to three months after application, this weed killer is best used to regain control of a messy landscape”
Best for Sidewalk Cracks: Roundup Concentrate Plus at Amazon
“designed to be used in a tank sprayer for…precise, accurate application around driveways and pathways where weeds pop up between cracks in the concrete.”
- Best Overall: Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer Buy on AmazonBuy on Walmart Effective weed killers need to either eliminate existing weeds and/or prevent them from growing back later on. While no weed killer is 100% effective at killing all the different types of weeds, the best have a large variety they can handle. That is why the top weed killer on this list has earned its place: combining an effective formula with a long list of areas you can use it, the Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer is the best. Coming in a variety of sizes, this weed killer can take care of existing weeds and makes a large amount of weeding spray for easy application. You can apply the weed killer in virtually any landscape including the lawn, flower beds, vegetable/fruit gardens, and pathways/driveways. This is the type of weed killer to choose when you want to get your lawn looking and staying healthy.
- Best for Lawns: Bayer Advanced Season Long Weed Control Buy on Home Depot When you find a great budget weed killer with the right formula, you will have something that will keep your garden or lawn looking great for months. While budget options that kill existing weeds are plentiful, the best affordable product is one that keeps the weeds from growing back long after you have removed them from your landscape. The Bayer Advanced Season Long Weed Control spray is a great budget option for preventative weed control over a long period of time. Lasting up to six months, the weed killer will eliminate existing weeds and prevent new ones from growing over that time period. The 20 oz. bottle offers enough weed killer to cover around 7,500 square feet of space using a connectable sprayer.
- Best for Gardens: Preen Garden Weed Preventer Buy on AmazonBuy on Home Depot Finding the perfect weed killer for a garden can be a difficult process. It is important that the weed killer have the right formula that will not destroy surrounding plants and flowers. For edible gardens, the formula also needs to be safe to use on foods. As a result, the best garden weed killers are not only safe to use, they keep the garden itself alive and healthy while controlling the weed population. For keeping your garden healthy without killing any plants, flowers, or fruits/vegetables, the Preen Garden Weed Preventer is the best preventative measure. Using this weed killer is as simple as sprinkling it around the garden to keep new weeds from growing. The pail includes a shaker scoop so you can get the best coverage possible. Existing weeds will need to be removed manually since this weed killer only prevents new ones from growing.
- Best Pre-Emergent : RM43 43-Percent Glyphosate Plus Weed Preventer Buy on Amazon Pre-emergent weed killers work by eliminating weeds at the source. Since many weeds can grow back even when you have killed them once, it is important that the weed killer formula get down to the roots to effectively remove them. Otherwise, you will only be wasting your time and money on products that will not give you the prevention you need for a healthy landscape. With an unrivaled ability to stop weeds from germinating and growing, the RM43 43-Percent Glyphosate Plus Weed Preventer is the perfect solution for keeping your lawn looking great after you have removed any existing weeds. The large 1-gallon bottle covers around 17,297 square feet of grass, making this one a great economic purchase when you want to save money without losing quality.
- Best Emergent: Roundup Weed and Grass Killer Buy on Amazon When you already have weeds to deal with, you need an emergent or post-emergent weed killer. These garden products are designed to take out existing weeds from stem to root. Coming in selective and non-selective varieties, the best emergent weed killers act quickly so you do not have to wait around for your lawn or garden to look good again. In many cases, these weed killers also come with a built-in sprayer to make spot removal easier. Roundup’s Weed and Grass Killer is the product to buy when you have a lawn or garden that needs some attention. Coming with a 1.1-gallon bottle and convenient wand sprayer, the weed killer’s formula is designed to eliminate weeds right down to the root. With the enhanced accuracy of the wand, you can use the weed killer in the lawn, garden, or driveway while minimizing overspray.
- Best Selective: Pulverize Selective Weed Killer Buy on Home Depot There are times when you need to remove weeds without killing the surrounding area. Since some weed killer options will harm all forms of vegetation, the best route to go is with a selective weed killer. Often more limited in the types of weeds they kill, these options are the only way to keep other plants, grass, and vegetables/fruits healthy while removing the bad stuff. The Pulverize Selective Weed Killer is somewhat of a weed assassin in terms of its accuracy and effectiveness. Using a fine sprayer, it is easy to apply the weed killer to small spaces where you need to minimize the amount of collateral damage done to the grass and other plants. The formula affects weeds while keeping the surrounding environment healthy with less harm done than traditional options.
- Best Non-Selective: Spectracide Weed & Grass Killer Buy on AmazonBuy on WalmartBuy on Target If you have a lot of weeds to remove or just plan to start over with your lawn or garden, a non-selective weed killer will save you time and money. Instead of keeping surrounding vegetation alive, non-selective weed killers eliminate everything that they touch. This is the best way to remove large amounts of weeds or bring the landscape to the point of reset to start again. The Spectracide Weed & Grass Killer is a nondiscriminating weed controller that offers the maximum amount of control over vegetation in the lawn or garden. Preventing regrowth for up to three months after application, this weed killer is best used to regain control of a messy landscape or near the start of the spring/summer seasons when weeds come back in full force.
- Best for Sidewalk Cracks: Roundup Concentrate Plus Buy on Amazon Over time, concrete driveways and pathways start to develop cracks that weeds can call home. When you find weeds appearing in these cracks, you will need a weed killer that gives you the precision to eliminate them from a challenging spot. This next top product makes it easy to focus on the troublesome spots without wasting a lot of liquid ammo. The Roundup Concentrate Plus weed killer is designed to be used in a tank sprayer for large coverage or precise, accurate application around driveways and pathways where weeds pop up between cracks in the concrete. The spot application prevents the weed killer from killing surrounding grass and plants and can even be used in other tricky areas such as fence lines, foundations, and gardens.